We can prepare this ellu podi in advance and whenever required, we can simply mix it with rice and add seasoning. Also, you can use black or white or both sesame seeds for preparing this rice.
Preparation and Cooking Time: <15 minutes
Serves: 2 persons
Cooked Rice - 2 cups
Salt - to taste
White sesame seeds / Black sesame seeds - 2 tablespoons
Urad dal - 1/2 tablespoon
Dry red chilli - 3 nos
Gingelly oil - 1 tablespoon
Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Curry leaves - 1 strings
Roasted unsalted peanuts - 1 tablespoon
Asafoetida - a big pinch
1) In a kadai / frying pan, dry roast dry red chilli and urad dal. Transfer to a plate, when urad dal turn slightly brown and releases nice aroma.
2) In the same pan, add sesame seeds and dry roast till it changes in its color and releases nice aroma. Turn the flame off and transfer it to a plate to cool to room temperature.
4) Then, add the sesame seeds and grind it just for 10 seconds or just give one or two pulse. Keep this powder aside.
5) Heat the same pan and add gingelly oil.
7) Turn the flame to low and add cooked rice followed by salt and sesame powder.
8) Mix well without breaking rice. Taste and adjust the salt.
10) Serve with fried papadams.
1) For each cup of cooked rice, add a tablespoon of sesame seeds for making this rice.
2) Adjust the dry red chillies as per your taste.