Preparation Time: <15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Salmon fillets - 300 grams, cut into 3 inch length pieces
Onion - 1 small no, finely chopped
Tomato - 2 large nos, finely chopped
Ginger and Garlic paste - 1 teaspoon
Red chilli powder - 1 teaspoon
Coriander powder - 2 teaspoons
Salt - to taste
Turmeric powder - a big pinch
Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Curry leaves - 1 string
Oil - 1 tablespoon
1) Wash and clean the salmon fillets.
2) In a frying pan, heat oil. Add mustard seeds when it is hot.
3) Add onion and curry leaves. Fry till onions are translucent.
4) Add ginger garlic paste and fry for a minute or till the raw smell of garlic goes off.
5) Add tomato and fry till they completely mashes.
6) Add red chilli powder, coriander powder, salt and turmeric powder. Fry till the raw smell of masala goes off.
7) Add a cup of water and mix well. Allow this mixture to boil and then turn down the flame to medium.
8) When the gravy starts to thicken, add fish fillets. Give a very gentle stir.
9) Cover and cook for 5 minutes in low flame. Then, open the lid and cook for another 5 minutes or till the salmon gets cooked and the oil oozes out from the corners of the gravy. Usually it takes 10-15 minutes to cook salmon for this curry.
10) Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with steamed rice and lemon wedges.
1) Increase or decrease the spice and salt according to your taste buds before you add fish fillets.
2) you can also add additional spice powder like fish masala powder to this curry. I do not prefer store bought masala, hence I didn't add them.
3) Ten minutes after adding fish, keep an eye on the curry. Once the fish is cooked remove it from heat as they tend to break easily when overcooked.